Information Communication Technology
The Plateau State University and Information Communication Technology (ICT) Department like other ICT Directorates in tertiary institutions discharges the responsibilities of deploying ICT infrastructure and services for administration, teaching, research and learning in the University.
The Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) department is one of the offices under the office of the Vice – Chancellor of the University. All the duties and responsibilities of the ICT Department is focused on assisting academics, research and consultancy by exploring the potentials of the department.
VISION, MISSION & CORE VALUES OF THE ICT
The vision of the ICT is to be a dynamic world class ICT Centre of excellence that advances teaching, learning and research in the university.
The ICT Center aspires to provide innovative, quality and sustainable IT solutions and services in alignment with academic and administrative goals of the university.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in service delivery.
- Integrity: Integrity in every conversation and transaction and are guided by truth, honesty and integrity.
- Innovation: Creative and critical thinking in the development of technology services and solutions.
- Accessibility: We strive to be able to meet the needs of the university community by listening and being accessible to all.
- Collaboration: we are dedicated to a constructive team oriented environment, gathering varied perspectives, sharing knowledge and building effective partnerships with key stakeholders.
Functions of the ICT Department:
Responsibilities of the ICT department amongst others include:
- To develop ICT strategic plan aimed at providing broad band service and advising the University and Management on matters related to ICT.
- Catering for all areas under the University network, computing devices, hardware, software, trainings and implementation of ICT initiatives, projects and programs and their related technical support.
- Enhance local content that provide up-to-date information about public relations, academic research, consultancy and other social activities in the University.
- Administer and upgrade the existing networks and internet infrastructure and provide relevant network- based services.
- Plan, design, implement and / or consult on the automation of different processes in the University.
- Provide hardware /software maintenance and user support services.
- Establishes and enforce ICT used standard and policies in the university.
- Provide research, consultancy, short term training and, outreach services to the larger community; and,
- Monitor and manage the university information and database amongst others.
The ICT department amongst others have been able to:
- Develop an ICT Policy document for the University which was approved by the 4th Governing Council of the University as a document that sets out standards for the use of ICT resources in the University including acquisition and implementation of ICT infrastructures in the University on the 12th of December, 2018.
- Be among the first University in Northern Nigeria to hold a virtual convocation ceremony for graduants of the University held on the 15th of August, 2020.
- Establish a Computer Base Testing (CBT) Centre in collaboration with the University Library
- Digitalize admission / registration processes for the University
- Offer continuous support to staff and student of the University
- Bridge IT skill gap amongst staff by providing opportunities for continuous training/retraining of staff on the current trends in Information Technology.
Collaborations and Partnership
Over the years, the ICT department have enjoyed a lot of support from Government agencies such as:
- Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TetFund)
- Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC)
- NGOs, Agencies amongst others.
These support have come in the form of trainings, Website development/ restructuring, teaching aids such as Electronic boards, Laptops, Desktops, Internet services amongst others.
Areas of strength of staff of the department includes:
- System Administration
- System Programing
- System Analysis
- Project Management
- Networking / Security
- Database Management
Areas of Need
- Software development
- Hardware Engineering
The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) department is headed by a Coordinator; Jonglapson, Lydia A. (Mrs.) MCPN. She has been practicing as an IT professional for over a decade as both an academic and technical staff with interest in Information Security, system administration/ programming, Project Management amongst others. She is also a member of the Computer Professionals (Registration Council of Nigerian) (CPN) and has brought her expertise in piloting the affairs of the ICT department of the Plateau State University to achieving their set goals.
Mrs. Jonglapson Lydia A. MCPN
STAFF OF THE ICT DEPARTMENT
PAUL JOSEPH AGADA (B.Sc. Computer Science, GMPCPN)
A trained teacher with primary and secondary teaching experience, System Programmer II, and an IT professional with leadership, coordinating, knowledge impacting ability Very passionate for Database Analysis and Administration.